What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)?
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder affecting women of reproductive age. PCOS affects your child-bearing ability, irregular menstrual cycle and production of excess male hormone (androgen). This syndrome increases health risks to develop diabetes and high blood pressure. Excessive androgen may stimulate hair growth and acne.
Signs And Symptoms Of PCOS
A few women observe PCOS symptoms around the time they have their first period. Only a few of them discover these signs of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) when they face trough getting pregnant or they’ve gained too much weight.
Common PCOS symptoms are:
- Heavy bleeding and irregular periods
- Hirsutism or excessive hair growth
- Acne breakouts
- Male-pattern baldness
- Weight gain
- Darkening of the skin
- Severe headaches
The exact risk factors or causes of PCOS are not known. The factors that might play a major role are as stated below:
- Heredity or genetic factors:
- Excessive insulin: Increase in the production of insulin in the cells causes an increase in androgen (male hormone) production. This phenomenon interferes with ovulation.
- Excess androgen production: Resulting in acne and hirsutism.
- Low-grade inflammation: Low-grade inflammation of cells stimulates the polycystic ovaries to generate more androgens. This problem can lead to heart and blood vessel health risks.
The diagnosis of PCOS is done in three steps as mentioned below:
- A pelvic exam by the physician
- Blood tests to measure hormone levels in the body
- An ultrasound to check the appearance of your ovaries and the thickness of the lining of your uterus
If your doctor diagnosis PCOS he might recommend additional tests for complications.
Polycystic Ovary Disease (PCOS) Treatments
Birth control pills: Estrogen and progestin regulate hormone balance and ovulation.
Metformin: Treats PCOS by regulating insulin levels.
Clomiphene: This is a fertility drug that improves the chances of pregnancy. However, it also increases the risk of multiple births.
Hair removal medicines: Eflornithine cream, laser hair removal, and electrolysis can use used
Surgery: Ovarian drilling.
PCOS can disrupt a women’s fertility and other side effects like hair growth and acne. This disease can be detected early if you opt for regular preventive health checkups. To book an appointment for complete health checkup package fill in the inquiry form below.